Sunday, April 12, 2009

Week 12

I decided to interview my mentor for this week's post. I started by asking him about how he got into the business in the first place. In college he worked for a TV station and got his degree in production. I found it interesting how he had got his job after moving to Arizona. He originally applied for a different position focusing on the computer programing aspect of the job. However, upon his interview his boss found his immediately felt he had found his replacement and retired 2 weeks after my mentor started. So the running joke in the office is that he had never applied for the position he is currently working in. Other questions I had asked my mentor was about any inter-office politics that might be present. Since this is a public blog I will not mention names or situations! I got the feeling that while some tiffs may arise sometimes, it is all minor situations that are hardly noticed. I respect how professional he always is. The entire office works consistently as a group and since there are only three people there it is imperative they must all function well together. Without such teamwork, the documentaries and TV show could never be able to be produced!! As far as mentoring goes, he has had students from college and high school alike volunteering their time in the studio. I believe this is a valuable opportunity for not only the students, but for a state funded station as well.

1 comment:

  1. Glad that you found interviewing your mentor to be worthwhile. I would have liked to have seen some of your interview questions.

    ReplyDelete